What is the skeleton?
The human skeleton is quite merely a repertoire of around 206 different shaped bones the align with each other to develop a protective structure for the body the muscles can connect to and administer movement from.
You are watching: Which bones protect the lungs and heart
An instance of the skeleton in the anatomical position have the right to be checked out in the surrounding image.
What go the skeleton do?
The skeleton offers four major functions, i m sorry are;
1. Support : It offers a framework to support the organs and tissues the the body.
2. Protection: that protects our inner organs. The skull protects the brain; the thorax (sternum, ribs and also spine) protects the heart, lungs and also other viscera (organs in ~ the thorax).
3. Movement: It gives a structure for muscles to attach. Then as soon as the muscle contract they traction on the bones of the skeleton, i beg your pardon act choose levers to create movement.
4. It is provided & Storage: The skeletal that make up the skeleton room a source of both red blood cells (which transfer oxygen) and also white blood cell (which struggle infection), i m sorry are created within the bone marrow.
Why is the skeleton important?
When considering the four significant functions that the skeleton the is easy to view why that is so important. Without it us would merely be a heap of "jelly" lie on the floor, can not to move and with no blood or immunity. So keeping a healthy functioning skeleton is component and thoreau of being able to carry out all our daily tasks and participate in every physical activities effectively.
The skeleton system and fitness
Understanding the skeleton system and its functions is an extremely important because that you as a an individual trainer. This is because it can help you finish everyday elements of your task such as assessing someone’s movement, identify dangerous movements and correcting practice technique.
For example when functioning as a personal trainer that the posture (position that the bones) that the skeleton that indicates whether someone’s method is correct or if their activity patterns need refining.
This have the right to be checked out in the listed below images of good and bad an approach of a squat.
What is bone?
1. Compact bone; this is heavy, dense, strong and thickest at the skeleton weakest point, usually the center of the shaft.
2. Cancellous bone; this has actually a honeycombed appearance and is strong and tough without the weight of compact bone. The is discovered mainly in the ends of bones.
3. Periosteum; this is the membrane of connective tissue that currently the outer surface of every bones. It houses the nerves and also blood vessels the innervate and also nourish the underlying bone and acts together an attachment because that tendons and ligaments.
Bones and the skeleton
As abovementioned the bones in ~ our bodies come in miscellaneous shapes and also align v each other in bespeak to develop the skeleton.
The major bones of the person skeleton are shown on the complying with image through their typical names and anatomical name (in brackets).
Knowing anatomical names definitely helps when working with various other health professionals (doctors, physiotherapists) yet most clients appreciate you using common names and also terms the they understand. You obtain no ‘kudos’ for confusing your personal training clients so ensure you always talk v them in a language they understand.
Major skeletal of the human being skeleton
Image 1: The human being skeleton
Although we often look at the skeleton as a totality structure, it can likewise be separated into 2 groups, the axial and also appendicular skeleton.
The axial skeleton consists of the following three parts and can be viewed as the non-shaded area in the adhering to diagram.skullvertebral columnbony thorax (ribs and sternum)
The key purpose the the axial skeleton is to carry out protection because that the main nervous device (brain and spinal cord) and vital organs, such as the heart and also lungs.
The appendicular skeleton is composed of the following six parts and can be viewed as the shaded area in the nearby diagram.armslegshandsfeetpelvic girdleshoulder girdle
The main purpose the the appendicular skeleton is to permit movement to take place through the joints of our arms and legs. There is no the appendicular skeleton we would be unable to move around and do the activities we carry out on a everyday basis.
The vertebral column (spine) is a crucial part that the axial skeleton. That is necessary to have a an excellent understanding the the spine as it is a usual area that people injure and also have postural issues with.
For this reason, as a trainer knowledge the spine and its natural curves will help you cue client when exercising in stimulate to keep them safe, as well as communicate v other experts such as physiotherapists.
See more: How Much Is A 1987 Silver Dollar Worth ? 1987 American Silver Eagle
Key point out of the vertebral column
The vertebral column is consisted of of several individual vertebrae which space grouped together into five different sections. This sections are noted below and also can likewise be viewed on the adjacent diagram.cervical - seven vertebraethoracic - twelve vertebraelumbar - 5 vertebraesacrum - five vertebraecoccyx - 4 vertebrae
When analysing the spine or talking to one more professional, such as a physiotherapist, it help to reference each vertebra as a number. Therefore vertebrae room numbered in descending bespeak in their matching sections i.e. The top (superior) cervical vertebra is known as C1 and also the bottom (inferior) cervical vertebra is known as C7.