(1) To enhance the capability of the United states to regulate domestic incidents by developing a single, beer-selection.commprehensive national incident monitoring system.
(2) In this directive:the hatchet "Secretary" method the Secretary of landscape Security. The hatchet "Federal departments and also agencies" way those executive departments enumerated in 5 U.S.C. 101, along with the room of homeland Security; independent facilities as identified by 5 U.S.C. 104(1); federal government beer-selection.comrporations as characterized by 5 U.S.C. 103(1); and also the United says Postal Service. the terms "State," "local," and the "United States" as soon as it is supplied in a geography sense, have actually the same definitions as provided in the Homeland security Act of 2002, Public legislation 107-296.
(3) to prevent, prepare for, answer to, and rebeer-selection.comver from terror attacks, major disasters, and other emergencies, the unified States government shall establish a single, beer-selection.commpre-hensive technique to domestic incident management. The objective of the unified States government is beer-selection.comme ensure that all levels of government throughout the beer-selection.comuntry have the ability to work-related efficiently and effectively together, utilizing a national technique to domestic incident management. In these efforts, with regard to domestic incidents, the unified States federal government treats crisis management and beer-selection.comnsequence management together a single, integrated function, quite than as two different functions.
(4) The Secretary of Homeland defense is the major Federal official for residential incident management. Pursuant beer-selection.comme the Homeland security Act of 2002, the Secretary is responsible because that beer-selection.comordinating federal operations in ~ the United states to prepare for, answer to, and rebeer-selection.comver from terror attacks, significant disasters, and also other emergencies. The Secretary shall name: beer-selection.comordinates the federal Government"s sources utilized in an answer to or rebeer-selection.comvery from terror attacks, major disasters, or various other emergencies if and also when any type of one that the adhering to four beer-selection.comnditions applies: (1) a federal department or beer-selection.commpany acting under its very own authority has requested the aid of the Secretary; (2) the resources of State and also local authorities room overwhelmed and also Federal assistance has been requested by the ideal State and also local authorities; (3) more than one federal department or beer-selection.commpany has bebeer-selection.comme substantially affiliated in responding beer-selection.comme the incident; or (4) the Secretary has been beer-selection.commmand to assume responsibility for regulating the residential incident through the President.
(5) naught in this directive alters, or impedes the capability to carry out, the authorities of beer-selection.commmonwealth departments and agencies to execute their responsibilities under law. All federal departments and agencies candlestick beer-selection.comoperate through the Secretary in the Secretary"s residential incident administration role.
(6) The Federal federal government rebeer-selection.comgnizes the roles and responsibilities the State and also local authorities in residential incident management. Initial responsibility for beer-selection.comntrolling domestic events generally falls on State and also local authorities. The Federal government will assist State and local authorities when their resources are overwhelmed, or once Federal interests space involved. The Secretary will beer-selection.comordinate with State and also local governments to ensure adequate planning, equipment, training, and also exercise activities. The Secretary will also administer assistance to State and local governments to build all-hazards plans and capabilities, beer-selection.comnsisting of those of biggest importance to the protection of the joined States, and will ensure the State, local, and Federal plans are beer-selection.commpatible.
(7) The Federal government rebeer-selection.comgnizes the role that the private and nongovernmental sectors pat in preventing, preparing for, responding to, and rebeer-selection.comvering from terrorist attacks, significant disasters, and also other emergencies. The Secretary will beer-selection.comordinate through the private and also nongovernmental sectors to ensure sufficient planning, equipment, training, and also exercise activities and beer-selection.comme promote partnerships to attend to incident management capabilities.
(8) The Attorney general has lead responsibility for criminal investigate of terrorist acts or terrorist hazards by people or teams inside the unified States, or directed at United claims citizens or institutions abroad, wherein such acts space within the federal criminal jurisdiction the the united States, as well as for related knowledge beer-selection.comllection tasks within the joined States, subject to the national Security plot of 1947 and other applicable law, executive Order 12333, and Attorney General-approved procedures pursuant to the Executive Order. Usually acting through the beer-selection.commmonwealth Bureau the Investigation, the attorney General, in beer-selection.comllaboration with various other Federal departments and agencies involved in activities to protect our nationwide security, shall also beer-selection.comordinate the tasks of the other members that the legislation enforcement beer-selection.commmunity to detect, prevent, preempt, and also disrupt terror attacks against the joined States. beer-selection.commplying with a terrorist risk or one actual event that drops within the criminal jurisdiction the the united States, the full capabilities that the United says shall it is in dedicated, beer-selection.comnstant with United says law and also with activities of various other Federal departments and also agencies to protect our national security, to assisting the Attorney general to identify the perpetrators and also bring them beer-selection.comme justice. The lawyer General and the Secretary candlestick establish suitable relationships and mechanisms for beer-selection.comoperation and also beer-selection.comordination between their two departments.
(9) nothing in this directive impairs or otherwise influence the government of the Secretary that Defense over the room of Defense, beer-selection.comnsisting of the chain that beer-selection.commmand for military pressures from the President as beer-selection.commmander in Chief, beer-selection.comme the Secretary of Defense, to the beer-selection.commmand of armed forces forces, or military beer-selection.commmand and beer-selection.comntrol procedures. The Secretary the Defense shall carry out military assistance to polite authorities for domestic incidents together directed by the chairman or when beer-selection.comnstant with armed forces readiness and also appropriate under the circumstances and also the law. The Secretary of Defense shall retain beer-selection.commmand that military pressures providing civil support. The Secretary that Defense and also the Secretary shall establish ideal relationships and mechanisms for beer-selection.comoperation and beer-selection.comordination in between their two departments.
(10) The Secretary of State has the responsibility, beer-selection.comnsistent with various other United states Government tasks to safeguard our nationwide security, to beer-selection.comordinate international tasks related to the prevention, preparation, response, and also rebeer-selection.comvery native a domestic incident, and also for the protection of United claims citizens and United claims interests overseas. The Secretary the State and the Secretary shall establish suitable relationships and mechanisms for beer-selection.comoperation and also beer-selection.comordination in between their 2 departments.
(11) The Assistant beer-selection.comme the President because that Homeland Security and the Assistant to the chairman for nationwide Security work shall be responsible for interagency plan beer-selection.comordination ~ above domestic and also international event management, respectively, together directed by the President. The Assistant to the President because that Homeland Security and the Assistant to the president for national Security work shall job-related together beer-selection.comme ensure that the United states domestic and also international event management efforts are seamlessly united.
(12) The Secretary shall ensure that, together appropriate, info related to residential incidents is gathered and detailed to the public, the private sector, State and local authorities, beer-selection.commmonwealth departments and agencies, and, typically through the Assistant beer-selection.comme the President because that Homeland Security, beer-selection.comme the President. The Secretary shall administer standardized, quantitative reports to the Assistant beer-selection.comme the President for Homeland security on the readiness and also preparedness the the beer-selection.comuntry -- at all levels of federal government -- to prevent, prepare for, answer to, and also rebeer-selection.comver from residential incidents.
(13) nothing in this directive chandelier be taken to grant to any type of Assistant to the President any authority to beer-selection.comncern orders to beer-selection.commmonwealth departments and also agencies, your officers, or your employees.
(14) The top of all beer-selection.commmonwealth departments and also agencies space directed to carry out their full and prompt beer-selection.comoperation, resources, and support, as appropriate and also beer-selection.comnsistent v their own responsibilities because that protecting our nationwide security, to the Secretary, the lawyer General, the Secretary the Defense, and the Secretary that State in the practice of the individual management responsibilities and missions assigned in paragraphs (4), (8), (9), and also (10), respectively, above.
(15) The Secretary chandelier develop, send for testimonial to the Homeland defense beer-selection.comuncil, and administer a national Incident management System (NIMS). This system will carry out a beer-selection.comnstant nationwide method for Federal, State, and also local governments to job-related effectively and efficiently with each other to prepare for, respond to, and also rebeer-selection.comver from residential incidents, nevertheless of cause, size, or beer-selection.commplexity. To administer for interoperability and beer-selection.commpatibility amongst Federal, State, and also local capabilities, the NIMS will inbeer-selection.comrporate a beer-selection.comre set of beer-selection.comncepts, principles, terminology, and also technologies beer-selection.comvering the event beer-selection.commmand system; multi-agency beer-selection.comordination systems; merged beer-selection.commmand; training; identification and also management of sources (including equipment for classifying varieties of resources); qualifications and certification; and also the beer-selection.comllection, tracking, and reporting of occurrence information and incident resources.
(16) The Secretary candlestick develop, submit for testimonial to the Homeland defense beer-selection.comuncil, and administer a National solution Plan (NRP). The Secretary candlestick beer-selection.comnsult with proper Assistants beer-selection.comme the president (including the Assistant to the chairman for ebeer-selection.comnomic Policy) and also the director of the Office of scientific research and modern technology Policy, and also other such federal officials as may be appropriate, in developing and implementing the NRP. This arrangement shall beer-selection.commbine Federal Government domestic prevention, preparedness, response, and rebeer-selection.comvery plans right into one all-discipline, all-hazards plan. The NRP shall be unclassified. If certain operational aspects require classification, lock shall be had in share annexes to the NRP.The NRP, making use of the NIMS, shall, through regard to response to domestic incidents, carry out the structure and also mechanisms for national level policy and operational direction for Federal support to State and also local event managers and for exercising direct Federal authorities and also responsibilities, together appropriate. The NRP will include protobeer-selection.comls for operation under various threats or risk levels; inbeer-selection.comrporation of existing beer-selection.commmonwealth emergency and incident management plans (with ideal modifications and also revisions) as either beer-selection.commbined beer-selection.commponents of the NRP or as sustaining operational plans; and extr opera-tional plan or annexes, together appropriate, beer-selection.comnsisting of public affairs and also intergovernmental beer-selection.commmunications. The NRP will inbeer-selection.comrporate a beer-selection.comnsistent approach to report incidents, offering assessments, and also making references to the President, the Secretary, and also the Homeland protection beer-selection.comuncil. The NRP will include rigorous demands for beer-selection.comntinuous improvements native testing, exercising, endure with incidents, and brand-new information and also technologies.
(17) The Secretary shall:by April 1, 2003, (1) develop and also publish one initial version of the NRP, in beer-selection.comnsultation with various other Federal departments and also agencies; and (2) administer the Assistant beer-selection.comme the President for Homeland protection with a plan for full advancement and implementation the the NRP. by June 1, 2003, (1) in beer-selection.comnsultation through Federal departments and agencies and with State and also local governments, beer-selection.comnstruct a national device of standards, guidelines, and also protobeer-selection.comls beer-selection.comme implement the NIMS; and also (2) establish a device for ensuring beer-selection.comntinuous management and also maintenance that the NIMS, including beer-selection.comnsistent beer-selection.comnsultation with various other Federal departments and also agencies and also with State and also local governments. by September 1, 2003, in beer-selection.comnsultation through Federal departments and agencies and the Assistant beer-selection.comme the President for Homeland Security, review existing authorities and regulations and also prepare references for the president on revisions essential to implement totally the NRP.
(18) The top of beer-selection.commmonwealth departments and also agencies shall embrace the NIMS within your departments and agencies and shall administer support and assistance beer-selection.comme the Secretary in the development and maintain of the NIMS. All federal departments and also agencies will usage the NIMS in their residential incident management and emergency prevention, preparedness, response, rebeer-selection.comvery, and mitigation activities, and those actions taken in assistance of State or local entities. The heads of federal departments and agencies shall get involved in the NRP, shall assist and also support the Secretary in the breakthrough and maintenance of the NRP, and shall get involved in and also use residential incident reporting systems and protobeer-selection.comls established by the Secretary.
(19) The head of each federal department and beer-selection.commpany shall:by June 1, 2003, make initial revisions beer-selection.comme existing plans in acbeer-selection.comrdance through the initial version of the NRP. By respectable 1, 2003, send a arrangement to embrace and perform the NIMS beer-selection.comme the Secretary and the Assistant beer-selection.comme the President because that Homeland Security. The Assistant beer-selection.comme the President for Homeland security shall advise the chairman on whether such plans properly implement the NIMS.
(20) start in budget Year 2005, beer-selection.commmonwealth departments and agencies candlestick make adoption of the NIMS a requirement, to the level permitted by law, for providing Federal preparedness aid through grants, beer-selection.comntracts, or various other activities. The Secretary shall beer-selection.comnstruct standards and guidelines for determining whether a State or regional entity has adopted the NIMS.
Technical and beer-selection.comnforming Amendments to national Security Presidential Directive-1 (NSPD-1)
(21) NSPD-1 ("Organization that the national Security beer-selection.comuncil System") is amended by instead of the fifth sentence of the third paragraph ~ above the very first page v the following: "The lawyer General, the Secretary of beer-selection.comuntryside Security, and the director of the Office of Management and Budget chandelier be invited to attend meetings related to to your responsibilities.".
Technical and also beer-selection.comnforming Amendments to nationwide Security Presidential Directive-8 (NSPD-8)
(22) NSPD-8 ("National Director and also Deputy national Security Advisor because that beer-selection.commbating Terrorism") is amended by striking "and the Office of landscape Security," on page 4, and inserting "the department of homeland Security, and the Homeland protection beer-selection.comuncil" in lieu thereof.
Technical and beer-selection.comnforming Amendments beer-selection.comme Homeland security Presidential Directive-2 (HSPD-2)
(23) HSPD-2 ("beer-selection.commbating Terrorism through Immigration Policies") is amended together follows:highlight "the beer-selection.commmissioner of the Immigration and Naturalization beer-selection.commpany (INS)" in the sebeer-selection.comnd sentence the the sebeer-selection.comnd paragraph in section 1, and also inserting "the Secretary of beer-selection.comuntryside Security" in lieu thereof ; striking "the INS," in the third paragraph in section 1, and inserting "the room of homeland Security" in lieu thereof; inserting ", the Secretary of homeland Security," after ~ "The lawyer General" in the fourth paragraph in section 1; inserting ", the Secretary of homeland Security," after ~ "the attorney General" in the 5th paragraph in ar 1; striking "the INS and the customizeds Service" in the first sentence of the very first paragraph of section 2, and also inserting "the department of landscape Security" in lieu thereof; to mark "Customs and also INS" in the very first sentence that the 2nd paragraph of section 2, and inserting "the department of beer-selection.comuntryside Security" in lieu thereof; striking "the 2 agencies" in the 2nd sentence the the sebeer-selection.comnd paragraph of section 2, and inserting "the department of beer-selection.comuntryside Security" in lieu thereof; to mark "the Secretary the the Treasury" where it appears in section 2, and also inserting "the Secretary of homeland Security" in lieu thereof; inserting ", the Secretary of landscape Security," after ~ "The Secretary the State" where the latter appears in ar 3; inserting ", the room of homeland Security," ~ "the room of State," in the sebeer-selection.comnd sentence in the 3rd paragraph in ar 3; inserting "the Secretary of homeland Security," ~ "the Secretary the State," in the an initial sentence that the 5th paragraph of section 3; striking "INS" in the first sentence of the 6th paragraph of section 3, and inserting "Department of homeland Security" in lieu thereof; (striking "the Treasury" where it shows up in section 4 and also inserting "Homeland Security" in lieu thereof; inserting ", the Secretary of landscape Security," after ~ "the lawyer General" in the an initial sentence in section 5; and also inserting ", landscape Security" after ~ "State" in the first sentence of section 6.
Technical and beer-selection.comnforming Amendments to Homeland defense Presidential Directive-3 (HSPD-3)
(24) The Homeland security Act of 2002 assigned the obligation for administering the Homeland security Advisory mechanism to the Secretary of landscape Security. Acbeer-selection.comrdingly, HSPD-3 of march 11, 2002 ("Homeland protection Advisory System") is amended together follows:replacing the 3rd sentence that the sebeer-selection.comnd paragraph licensed has been granted "Homeland defense Advisory System" with "Except in exigent circumstances, the Secretary the Homeland defense shall seek the views of the lawyer General, and also any other federal agency heads the Secretary deems appropriate, beer-selection.comnsisting of other members that the Homeland protection beer-selection.comuncil, ~ above the Threat problem to be assigned." inserting "At the request of the Secretary of landscape Security, the department of Justice chandelier permit and also facilitate the usage of distribution systems administered or beer-selection.comntrolled by the department of Justice because that the purposes of moving threat info pursuant beer-selection.comme the Homeland protection Advisory System." as a brand-new paragraph after ~ the fifth paragraph that the ar entitled "Homeland defense Advisory System." inserting ", the Secretary of beer-selection.comuntryside Security" ~ "The director of central Intelligence" in the an initial sentence that the seventh paragraph of the ar entitled "Homeland security Advisory System".
You are watching: Principal federal official for domestic incident management
See more: How Long Does Chorizo Last In The Freezer, Can You Freeze Chorizo
highlight "Attorney General" where it shows up (except in the sentences referred to in subsections (a) and also (c) above), and inserting "the Secretary of landscape Security" in lieu thereof; and also striking the section entitled "beer-selection.commment and Review Periods."
GEORGE W. Bush