≈ Comments off on execute you constantly divide the larger number through the smallernumber?
A common misconception amongst students is that, as soon as dividing, you always put the bigger number first. When this concept “sticks”, that is extremely daunting to undo later on when students learn that girlfriend can, in fact, divide a smaller sized number by a larger one. Some instances that young students deserve to understand are having actually 2 pounds of dog food that has to be split among the 6 dogs in the pets shop, or 4 liquid bars that need to be separation among 10 children. Functioning on equal sharing situations like this help students develop the number feeling to eventually handle operations v fractions.
You are watching: How to divide a bigger number by a smaller number
One method to avoid the misconception of placing the bigger number very first is to focus instead ~ above the components of an equal sharing problem. These troubles involve 3 countable quantities: the number of groups, the dimension of each group, and also the whole. Have students model and also solve the three problems below:
1) Eva has actually 3 plates. She place 5 cookies on every plate. How countless cookies go Eva have?
2) Eva has actually 15 cookies. She wants to placed 5 cookies on every plate. How numerous plates will Eva need?
3) Eva has 15 cookies. She desires to put the same number of cookies ~ above 3 plates. How numerous cookies deserve to Eva put on each plate?
Have the students to compare the 3 problems, noting what is different about each situation. Focus on what the numbers represent, ~ above which quantities are known and also which space unknown. Develop the principle that an unknown whole calls for multiplication, while an unknown variety of groups or size of team calls for department of the totality by either the dimension of the team or the variety of groups. Emphasize that it is the entirety that is being separated – which could usually be the larger number yet does not have to be.
Next have actually the students work-related the adhering to problems:
Tell what is unknown in each problem. Then deal with the problem.
1) Amy has actually 16 quarters. If each video game an equipment takes 2 quarters, how countless games deserve to she play?
__________________ is unknown. She have the right to play ___________ games.
2) Sue has actually 4 bags that marbles. There are 5 marbles in each bag. How plenty of marbles walk Sue have actually all together?
____________ is unknown. Sue has actually _____________ marbles all together.
3) Sue’s class has 21 students. There are 7 students at every center. How countless centers room there?
____________________ is unknown. There room _____________ centers.
4) Sue has 24 candies. She wants to share them equally among 4 friends. How countless candies will each friend receive?
_____________ is unknown. Each girlfriend will get __________ candies.
5) There space 15 fish in the pet keep that are divided equally into 3 fish tanks. How many fish room in every tank?
_______________ is unknown. There are ____________ fish in every tank.
See more: Direct A Characteristic Shared By Both Predators And Parasites Is That They 1
Finally, have actually students write and also solve their own problems. Ask the they compose one problem of each type.