How to readjust the Engine Oil in a 4.6L or 5.4L F-150
Oil alters are forced at details intervals come ensure the longevity of her engine. Expanding oil adjust intervals or neglecting to have actually your engine oil adjusted will ultimately an outcome in premature birth engine failure. If friend have restricted mechanical experience, the is recommended you discover from the town hall a jar mechanic carry out the task, as straightforward as it may seem. Execute an oil change per the manufacturer encourage intervals, which have the right to be found in her owner\"s manual. (3,000 miles/6 months or 5,000 miles/8 months is common, but it relies on the vehicle). High usage vehicles may benefit from an ext frequent oil changes.
You are watching: How many quarts of oil does an f150 take
Applicable model Years: 1997 - 2010 Ford F-150 (4.6L and 5.4L engines) Engine Oil Filter part Number*: Motorcraft FL820S (Motorcraft FL400S for particular 4.6L Windsor engines, check out footnote) 4.6L Engine Oil Capacity: 6 qts w/ filter (U.S. Quarts) 5.4L Engine Oil Capacity: 6 qts w/ filter 1997 - 2003 design years, 7 qts w/ filter 2004 - 2010 model years (U.S. Quarts) 1997 - 1999 Engine Oil Viscosity: SAE 5W-30 (full synthetic) 2000 - 2010 Engine Oil Viscosity: SAE 5W-20 (full synthetic) *Certain model year 4.6L engines provided oil filter p/n FL400S; inspect filter part number or describe owners manual. FL820S and also FL400S filters room NOT interchangeable.
• The exactly oil viscosity is listed on the oil to fill tube. If it is default or missing, refer to the viscosity specs above. Friend will require 6 quarts of oil for all 4.6L engines and also 1997 come 2003 version year 5.4L engines. 2004 to 2010 design year 5.4L engines need 7 quarts of engine oil. Constantly refer to her owners hand-operated to verify oil specifications for her vehicle.
• situate the oil fill cap in the engine only on the passenger side valve cover. Loosen the oil fill cap but do not eliminate (sometimes this help the oil drainpipe quicker).
• place an oil drain container beneath the drain plug top top the engine oil pan. If your oil drainpipe plug is situated on the side of the oil pan, girlfriend will should position that so that the oil floor in the container and also not the soil (it will have a propensity to shooting out fairly than drainpipe straight down).
• remove the drainpipe plug making use of a boxed finish wrench or socket - do not attempt to remove the drainpipe plug with an open end wrench together it will certainly strip easily.
• due to the fact that motor oil is a hazardous material, that is recommended the you stay latex/oil resistant gloves.
• when the oil is draining, clean the oil drainpipe plug through a lint free rag. Execute not usage solvents.
• once the offered oil has drained completely, reinstall the drainpipe plug. Hand tighten the plug as lot as feasible to remove cross threading. If the oil pan threads room stripped, the whole oil pan will have to be eliminated in order to change or fix it properly. As soon as hand tightened, finishing tightening the drainpipe plug with a wrench/socket. Certain the plug is snugged under - execute no overtighten.
• Reposition the oil container under the oil filter or appropriate filter drain channel if equipped. Most 4.6L/5.4L fitted trucks have actually an oil filter drain slide located over the facility of the former axle.
• remove the oil filter by unscrewing the from the engine block. On 4.6L/5.4L engines, the filter is located on the driver side of the engine block and is ideal accessed by crawling under the vehicle and also reaching upwards. It may seem difficult to access, however after a couple of oil changes you will acquire the cave of it. An oil filter wrench might be used to assist you however, if the filter was mounted correctly, it have to come off by hand. Effectively dispose the the oil filter. A plastic zip loc layout bag is normally embraced for recycling purposes. If it is tight and also you space unable to access it through an oil filter wrench, try wrapped a piece of sandpaper (we use emery cloth) approximately the filter. You can generally grip the sandpaper far better than the canister itself, specifically if that is oily.
• Clean the oil filter mounting surface with a clean, lint complimentary rag, ensuring the the old filter gasket is not stuck come the mounting surface. Do not usage solvents. Be sure the surface ar is clean before continuing.
• Prepare your new replacement oil filter by using a small amount of fresh motor oil come the oil filter gasket (the rubber o-ring mounted to the surface ar of the brand-new filter). Utilizing your finger, rub the oil around the gasket till it is fully lubricated (this is critical to getting a an excellent seal).
• If you would like, you might fill the new filter with 1 quart of new motor oil. This action is no required, though part speculate it stays clear of dry start after transforming the engine oil. It is daunting to install a to fill oil filter once it is an installed horizontally on the engine block without spilling. We prefer to, in ~ minimal, \"wet\" the filter by filling it v ~1/2 a quart of fresh oil.
• through the gasket appropriately lubricated, install the new oil filter in the same fashion you eliminated it. Perform not use an oil filter wrench to tighten the filter. Snug the filter so the it seat tightly versus the mounting surface. Over there is no have to overtighten the filter, merely tighten the as much as feasible by hand. Friend should have the ability to remove the filter by hand at your following oil change if that was mounted properly (some toughness required).
• with the oil drainpipe plug and new oil filter installed, the is time to include your brand-new engine oil. Remove the oil fill cap and also stick a clean, oil for sure funnel right into the to fill neck. Slowly negative in the forced amount of new engine oil.
• after ~ you have actually filled the engine v oil, reinstall the oil to fill cap.
• traction the dipstick and verify the engine oil level. If the oil level is low, dual check the you supplied the exactly amount.
See more: 2012 Acura Tl Wiper Blade Size, 2012 Acura Tl
• inspect for leaks about the oil filter drainpipe plug, then start the truck. The oil push gauge have to travel to typical within 5 to 10 seconds, otherwise something to be done incorrectly and there is a problem. Use a flashlight to examine for leaks about the oil filter.
beer-selection.com is not affiliated through nor endorsed by Ford Motor agency or any manufacturer pointed out herein, uneven explicitly noted otherwise.