Pudding is my favorite go-to treat on the weekend, and I can always make it in a few minutes with an instant pudding mix. Whether it is banana pudding or cookies, there is nothing impossible with this amazing ingredient. However, it is not good if you only depend on this ingredient to make good dishes.
You are watching: Can i use cook and serve pudding instead of instant
Therefore, I have worked out the best substitute for instant pudding in this post. Check it out if you’re running out of this ingredient!
Components Of Instant PuddingPudding is no longer a complicated dessert to cook with instant Pudding. With the simple process of pouring the instant pudding mixture into a bowl, adding cold milk, and mixing the two ingredients, you can enjoy the delicious Pudding effortlessly. But do you know what’s in the box that makes the Pudding so easy?
To know which ingredient you can replace instant Pudding with, you should first understand what components go into a bowl of thick, custard, and American-style Pudding when you make it from scratch.Puddings are similar to custard, but puddings are thickened with cornstarch instead of eggs. So, all you need to make a pudding without a box of instant pudding mixture is sugar, milk, butter, cornstarch, and vanilla extract.Cornstarch helps thicken the mixture and solidify the liquid into the Pudding. Therefore, you only need to whisk the dry ingredients, which are cornstarch, sugar, and flavor extracts, add the wet ingredients and cook them in a pan until all thickens into the Pudding.The component list of instant Pudding is just dry ingredients that require you to add milk inside. There are also artificial colorants, preservatives for long-term use, and fats.
Now that we know what is in our normal instant pudding package let’s find out what we can substitute in this list below.
1. Bird’s Custard Powder With SugarBirds Custard Powder is a famous sweet preparation in the UK and is often served as a dessert and in savory recipes. Like Pudding, custard is made from eggs, milk, sugar, and milk or cream and flavorings.To make custard, first of all, the milk is heated and simmered in a pan. Eggs, sugar, and flavoring (usually vanilla) are combined in a separate bowl. The egg mixture is lightly whisked into the milk. Then, the mixture is added to a separate bowl. The dish or bowl is placed in a water bath to bake. The custard is slightly solid but still soft enough to melt in your mouth.Birds Custard Powder includes cornstarch, salt, colorants, and flavors. This dry mixture is combined with milk and cooked on a stove.
Although custard powder can act as a substitute for pudding mix in cake recipes, you still need to adjust the quantity. Usually, I would use one tablespoon of Custard powder, equivalent to 3 times the Pudding amount of cornstarch. Also, custard is less sweet than Pudding, so you may have to add more sugar than usual if you want to get the results.
2. Cook and Serve Pudding MixAnother great instant pudding substitute is cook and serve pudding mix. As you can see from the name, both are quite similar in terms of taste and ingredients: sugar, cornstarch, food dyes, and flavorings. But if they are so similar, why don’t people use one mix only?The real component that separates the cook-and-serve Pudding and instant pudding is dextrose, requiring you to heat the milk to combine with the pudding mix. While instant Pudding only needs you to whisk the cold milk combination for a few minutes.With a special ingredient, cook-and-serve pudding mix also gives a richer taste and better moisture to your dessert recipes. The texture is also more stable and firmer for specific cake types.
3. Homemade vanilla pudding mixWhen you are missing some ingredients for a recipe, substitute ingredients tend to be a choice to work your way around. However, there is another way to fill your ingredients list in the gap if it’s a mixture instead of the original ingredient: Make your own mix.I know that you might think it takes too long to make your own ingredient to substitute for vanilla pudding mix, so here is a quick instruction for you to create a vanilla pudding substitute in just 5 minutes:Ingredients8 ounces of granulated sugar6 ounces of cornstarch6 ounces of skim dry milk powder2 Vanilla beansSaltInstruction1. Take a mixing bowl and add sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk powder. Whisk them all together and set aside.
2. Use a knife to split the vanilla beans and get all the seeds. Then, put the seeds inside the mixture and whisk them well.
3. To store the pudding mix, you can put them in an airtight container. Seal and store them in a dark and cool place.
4. Homemade Chocolate Pudding Mix
If you’re working on chocolate pudding but lack chocolate pudding mix, you can make your homemade recipe. With only 2 minutes of preparation, you can completely continue to bake your chocolate pudding.Ingredients8 ounces of granulated sugar2 ounces of cocoa powder6 ounces of cornstarch
1. Use a mixing bowl and combine granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and cornstarch. Whisk them together evenly.2. Take an airtight container and pour them inside. Seal tightly and store them in a dry and cool place.When you need to make chocolate pudding, you can take 8 ounces of chocolate pudding mix, 2 cups of milk, and some vanilla extract to enhance the flavors. Combine them all in a pan on medium heat. Stir continuously for 12 minutes until the Pudding is slightly solidified.
How To Use Instant PuddingInstant pudding is convenient for us to make tasty pudding desserts. But have you tried using it for different purposes?Because of its versatile dry ingredients, you can use it as a main ingredient or texture enhancer in these foods:
Cookie Taste AdjustmentDelicious classic sugar cookies are my go-to dessert and snack on the weekend. They are quick to make with a crunchy texture that melts in your mouth. However, it can be boring to enjoy the same version all the time. Adding pudding mix with different flavors can actually change your cookie cooking game to a flavorful one.As they have their flavoring extracts available in the mix, you only need to choose your desired flavor from a Jell-O instant pudding box to combine with the cookie batter. And voila! No more boring sugar cookie taste.
Protein DessertsSounds impossible? Not at all. When you’re on a harsh training, it is always that time when you have to say goodbye to your favorite sugary dishes. However, with a pudding mix, you can easily combine protein powder and other flavoring ingredients to create a healthy, protein-rich dessert to satisfy your craving.
Pudding ShotsYou’re having a party at home tomorrow, and all you have is instant pudding mix? Don’t worry, you can create a fun, and super creative 2-in-1 treat that gives a little twist to your friends: Pudding with liquor. Work on your Pudding as usual; when you finish whisking all the ingredients, add some liquor inside and stir it evenly.
Ice Cream’s TextureA creamy and smooth texture of a store-bought ice cream can be challenging to achieve at home if you only use traditional ingredients. With the right dry ingredients like cornstarch and thickening agents, a pudding mix can help your ice cream to form a rich and thicker layer of melting cream you’ve always wanted.
Diet CakesGoing on a diet is a hard journey as you have to avoid all of your favorite sweet and creamy desserts and treats from your childhood. Therefore, to help people who are on a diet to enjoy nice pieces of cakes without guilt, the Jell-O instant pudding mix also has a non-sugar and non-fat version that you can use in your cake recipes.
Moisture EnhancerInstant pudding mix is not only for baking pudding but also providing extra moisture in your dessert recipes. The key component that creates the magical effect is gelatinized starch, a dry ingredient for absorbing liquid. Therefore, when you combine milk with the cake mix, this component grabs more liquid than the normal mix and moisten your cake.
1. How To Store Instant Pudding?If you decide to make an instant vanilla pudding mix substitute, you might want to store it after usage instead of throwing them away.
For commercial pudding packets, they can last for months because of the food preservative components. However, with homemade pudding mix, you can keep it in an airtight container and put it in the fridge, which will last 5-7 days.
2. Can You Make Instant Pudding With Skim Milk?It is common to find instant pudding mix using dairy milk, but you can also make instant pudding mix with skim milk. As milk is just a component that helps liquify the pudding mix, you can change it with different types of milk with slight changes in the taste.
See more: How To Change 2005 Gmc Envoy Wiper Blade Size, Gmc Envoy Wiper Size Chart